Requesting a List
Any member of the RIT community may request a list. Please submit a request using the links found below.
- All lists must be sponsored by an active, full time RIT Employee
- The sponsor is responsible for monitoring list activity
- All lists must have at least one active moderator
- The sponsor may delegate the role of moderator
- The moderator(s) are responsible for maintaining list membership
- The moderator(s) must actively read the messages on the list within a timely manner
- Lists must support RIT's Vision, Mission, and Values
- List sponsor's and moderators agree to RIT Lists Policy
- Lists may not be used for commercial purposes
A Mailman list may be requested for a distribution list that will contain a dynamic list of members, potentially including both RIT community members and non-members. These lists may be used for announcements, discussion, or information sharing.
Mailman lists will not be created for class distributions (use http://myCourses.rit.edu) or for departmental, divisional, or discipline distributions (for non-class distributions you may submit a request for an automated mailing list instead, see below).
An automated list should be requested for a distribution list that will contain all of the members of a given grouping, such as a specific division, department, college, discipline, course, or course section at RIT. These lists should be reserved for announcements of specific interest to the membership.
Examples of automated lists
- email@example.com - all CIAS College student
- cob_college_students_program_BBUA@rit.edu - all Saunders College of Business students in the BBUA program
- firstname.lastname@example.org - all first year College of Engineering students
Requesting a List
Please send the following information with your request to the ITS Helpdesk (see link below).
- Your full name
- Your contact information
- Your RIT Computer Account username
- List Sponsor's full name (if different)
- List Sponsor's contact information
- List Sponsor's RIT Computer Account username
- The desired name of the list
- A short description of the purpose of the list
- An approximate size of your list (recipients)